U.S. cases surpassed 30 million, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. Brazil surpassed 300,000 deaths from Covid-19, the second-most in the world. Hong Kong suspended online bookings for BioNTech vaccines after reports of issues with the primary packaging material for vials in one batch.
AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 vaccine was 76% effective in a U.S. study, a slightly downgraded estimate based on the latest data collected from a contentious clinical trial, creating further uncertainty for the shots.
Boris Johnson warned that the U.K. may need tougher border measures “very soon” to prevent the arrival of Covid-19 variants from continental Europe that risk undermining the country’s vaccine rollout. The European Union and the U.K. signaled a thawing of relations over vaccine sharing.
- Global Tracker: Cases pass 124 million; deaths exceed 2.73 million
- Vaccine Tracker: More than 486 million shots given worldwide
- Global tourism looks shaky, with herd immunity a distant dream
- Uncertain science behind Covid passports requires a leap of faith
- Merkel’s virus crisis is changing the shape of Germany’s election
- Biden uses Trump’s ‘America first’ vaccine plan to corner market
Subscribe to a daily update on the virus from Bloomberg’s Prognosis team here. Click CVID on the terminal for global data on cases and deaths.